On May 6, 1865, seven families totaling 41 people established the first permanent settlement in Otter Tail County on the north shore of Lake Clitherall. Led by Chauncy Whiting, Sr., this branch of the Latter Day Saints had traveled from Iowa to Minnesota and were following the prophecy of Father Alpheus Cutler to settle on ‘the land between two lakes.’
The Cutlerites played an important part in the history of Otter Tail County. They organized the first township and established the first school district. They also gave the county its first auditor, its first two county school superintendents, and two members of the first board of county commissioners. The town rapidly developed and at one point there were more than forty buildings in Old Town. However, the town struggled to survive when the railroad came through in 1881and families began to move closer to the amenities in what became known as New Clitherall.
Justice Two was the original Old Town general store and is one of three original buildings still standing in Old Clitherall. Restored in 2013 after over thirty years of vacancy, the store now offers espresso drinks; panini sandwiches; fresh baked goods; ice cream; Italian sodas and more; as well as a second floor meeting space equipped with a pool table, foosball table, and air hockey.